View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Negreanu > ADZ ? He thinks so..

He posted more in his blog, including gems like this:
[ QUOTE ]
I do think that even the correct way to play hands differs online than in a live game.

The key reason for that is that in order to be able to make good reads on later streets online, you’ll often have to play a hand on the flop in such a way that it defines your hand while also defining your opponents range. This can be a slightly more costly tactic, this “information bet” if you will, than simply making reads based on other variables that you can exploit when playing in a live scenario.

Let’s look at an extreme example: Suppose you called a raise with 9-9 from late position and the flop came J-7-3 rainbow. Your opponent makes a continuation bet after the flop and you are unsure if your hand is good. If you raise the flop, you’ll likely find out by your opponents action on the flop whether you have the best hand in this situation.

However in a live game scenario, you may be able to gauge the situation without making the information bet. I should add, that you don’t have to do it online either, but when someone fires a second barrel at you online all you have to go on is betting patterns. In a live game setting, if you’ve picked up any tells on your opponent at all, you can call the flop and then look for a tell on the turn when your opponent fires a second barrel. I guess that’s also possible with clicking tells and such, but I have no clue at all how to read into that sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good though he may be in live games, he's outclassed in high stakes online NLHE. He does not realize it and since he's probably not a complete ATM it will take a while for him to find out due to variance.

It's interesting how it develops, but I don't think he will put in the effort to improve; it will just take too much work and he'll give up on playing online again.

P.S. He's fighting a good battle with getting rid of the shortstackers though. I applaud him for that.