View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Who is the best Omaha 8 player in the world?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tough question. It's definitely not Wintermute. He destroyed the Party 2K PLO8 back when it was incredibly easy and stocked with fish, and apparently didn't make a cent at either PLO8 or any other game type (such a limit O8) on other sites, despite trying.

He was just a guy in the right place at the right time with the right bankroll. As for the actual best in the world, I'd imagine one of the old time WSOP winning pros would have to be in the running.

BTW I know Wintermute will read this and it makes me smile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity, do you know for a fact that he is no longer a winning player. I rarely see him playing, and I do agree to some degree that he benefitted from weak players at the higher limits, but even at full-ring he was better than a lot of "winning" players I see regularly. And I have no doubt that he could win at SH PL08 against practically anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a lot with his doucheness on party back in the day. And I say that with some sort of reveled sentimentality. If mute's musings are even halfway factual, I tip my hat to him and his IDGAF mentality, and the way he has brought to life such a voracious and gluttonous lifestyle through written word, accompanied by clever metaphors and hilariously obscene observations about human nature.

When mute was playing his 'A' game, I knew no one better at PLO8. However, there were significant discrepancies between one game and the next from my experience. I always was under the impression (and still am) that if mute ever learned the discipline that so many of us do from playing poker and handling the emotional and financial swings that he could have relatively speaking the most ridiculous edge anyone has in a single game. I found that PLO8 offered so many opportunities for a huge mistake the difference between one opponent and the next could be drastic in terms of results simply due to one leak in their game, and I think mute recognized these leaks and mistakes and not only avoided them when he was playing well but recognized them in his opponents and capitalized very well from his observations.

As recent as this past WSOP, when someone would ask me for some type of definitive information about pot limit omaha eight or better and correct strategy, I'd just tell them to google "wintermute".

Truthiness- I've always considered validation from my peers and counterparts to be very rewarding, something that lasts much longer than the typical reward in this particular arena. Thank you for that.

-Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

Tex is right. When Mute was playing his A game he was the best PLO8 player on the planet, but he was inconsistent. Sometimes I would see him play and he was unstoppable, other times he was just bleeding chips.