View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: 2008 Presidential Primaries

Engineer, I agree with you, that it's good to have Ron Paul's representation in congress, and his presence in the primary race.

Reading through this thread, there are two things that catch my attention that I think are counter-productive to your objectives.

The first is that any support for Ron Paul risks unintentionally lumping poker players in the fringe with him and the rest of the crazies talking about the federal reserve, ignoring the world beyond our borders, etc. Personally I'd like poker to be viewed as mainstream as possible, as "the other American pastime". Any endorsement or praise of him should be done with care (I think you have, BTW) and take into account that he has marginalized himself as a candidate

The other is that several comments come across as "here's how we can defeat the Republicans". As I mentioned I have no love for the R party, but that sort of partisanship only serves to limit your influence. Keep it about the issues, not about the party. We will only win if poker is a liberties issue, where the message easily resonates with all Americans regardless of party.

Regarding Guiliani, the problem I see is that he's shrewd enough, and shallow enough (IMO) to understand the political capital to be gained through a crackdown on internet gaming. This is evidenced by his stance that pot should never be legal for any reason, including legitimate medical treatment, regardless of what any research shows (his words).

I would also expect the whole "money laundering" and "ties to terrorism" rhetoric to make Guiliana enforce the gambling prohibition with gusto.