View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: How much trickles down to actual members of indian tribes?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm ... I'm 1/16th Native American (some tribe (which one I don't know) in Cass County, Missouri).

Perhaps it's time I do some digging to find the name (and tribe) of my Great, Great, Grandmother (on my mother side), who was full blood Native American and see if I can get some money! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hope you're kidding, but most tribes have no smaller than 1/8th blood quantum to become a member, and even then some tribes require a parent to be a member. There are some that have 1/16th, but I can guarantee that the ones giving it 7k+ a month are NOT those tribes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm not kidding (about being 1/16th native american), but I was in regards to Searching purely for money reasons. In reality the only reason why I've actually been searching, is for Genology reasons (only).

As for being 1/8th, well my Mom is, and she's still alive at a spritely 71 years of age. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

However, I hit a roadblock a while back, in regards to my Geneology search for my (Maternal) Great Grandfather, James Dixon who was 1/2 Native American from Cass County Missouri (it was his mother, who was full Native American), and my Maternal Grandmother (his Daughter) passed away about 3 years ago.

I actually read though someplace, that some tribes recognize as little as 1/32nd Native American (which then my son would qualify as well), but I've really never actively looked into it any further than that.