View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 09:32 AM

Default Re: So I Called 911 Tonight...

I had just gotten into bed when I heard a loud bump outside. I looked out the window and saw a guy breaking into my car. I was in college and my car was worth probably $500. I had bought a radio/CD player from Wal-Mart for like $150 and put it in there, and some [censored] bastard was breaking into the car to steal it. I had my girlfriend call 911 and I ran out onto the porch and cussed and yelled up a storm, but he wasn't intimidated and I was too worried he might have been armed, so I didn't go out there to fight over it. Yeah, I'm a hardcore libertarian and I don't have a gun. Bad idea on my part. Anyway, he took my [censored] little stereo/CD player and this was the one time ever I had left my backpack in the car, so he took it too, including a $200 calculator and maybe a textbook or two. I had her tell the cops what street he was on and what he was wearing, etc. (This was Atlanta, btw, "Home Park," just north of Georgia Tech.) The cop showed about 30 minutes later, and LDO nothing ever came of it. I wound up retiring the car without ever fixing the damage or putting a new radio in it.

In retrospect, not going to confront the guy was probably the best decision. He left a freakin' foot long screwdriver in the car that probably would have been left in my ribcage somewhere if I had gone after him. Also, he bled on the car, apparently cutting himself when he busted out the window, so at least he paid some price. But there's no way he got more than $30 for the crap he stole and I had to pay like 350 or so to replace the calculator and books.

Bastard.