Thread: Going Pro
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Going Pro

You say you are playing 12 tables full time. If by full time you mean you don’t do “proper work” then it sounds as though you are pro already.

To go pro I think you need to have done your “apprentaship” over say a 2/3 years period. This could be by extensive part-time play but must be enough for you to decide if the lifestyle is for you. It can be very lonely and this will not suit everybody. In other words will you be able to face the daily grind with no real interaction.

You should have an accurate database (spreadsheet) of all your results over a very long period so you know your win rate per hour. Is this going to be enough?

I don’t subscribe to the theory that to change “jobs” you must be earning more. Yes, it is a consideration but then so is job satisfaction. Only you can answer that one.

Where will on-line poker be in a few years time?
Will the fish leave?
What about pensions?
What about health care costs?
What about your family’s thoughts on this career?
Can you do this for the next 30 years or more?

There should be a whole bunch of other questions you should ask yourself. If after all considerations you decide poker is the life for you I wish you all the luck in the world. Just proceed with caution.