View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: The Tipping Point + Freakonomics re: crime

[ QUOTE ]
But we aren't talking about the black community. We are talking about the poor community, not just blacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
If it makes you feel better we can pretend there are multi-ethnic gangs comitting all these crimes like in the movies. Or we can just continue to speak in code like everyone in the public eye always does, while everyone else knows exactly what they mean. The fact is the bulk of the "poor community" is going to made up of minorities. So a crime problem is going to be largely a problem in minority communities - statistcally.

Now I didn't specifically address latinos, which certainly have crime/gang issues. But no more or less than any other immigrant community in NYC since the early 1800s. The black situation is different because of its radically different history. So it's not surprising that it doesn't play out the same, and maybe takes a little longer to cool off.

Note: the above theories are mostly based on my experience, interactions and observations in different cities that I've lived in and consider to be on different steps of the cultural ladder as far as race relations and integration.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, there are many factors for why the crime rate droped. The authors are saying Roe v. Wade is the biggest reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
How exactly do they rule out the improved the economy and stabilization of crack as being the biggest contributor?