View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Trouble playing FD

Hi all.... I've been playing 5NL for a bit trying out new things and rebuilding my BR. I've been trying to get more agressive playing draws with suited (gap) connectors.

The trouble is that I keep getting odds on calls and suck myself in. Here's an example... The table was loose and I got to see lots of flops unraised.

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.24, 5 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $0.24</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.72</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to $1.2</font>, Hero calls.

Here I raised for a free card and possibly a steal, because there has been a lot of stabs at paired flops at this table. When he raised I thought I could forget about the free card, but with 0.48 to call I almost had the odds with one card to come and needed only a little implied odds, which I was probably getting with two streets to come and his interrest in this pot

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.64, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to $2</font>, Hero calls.

This villain doesn't do pot control so I tried to get there a little cheaper by betting a little less than 1/2 pot. I figured villain would just call most of his K hands and I was prepared to risk to have to fold to a decent raise. His $1 dollar raise priced me in for one card again, especially with the inside straight draw that I just picked up. This pot is getting big and I'm far from favorite to win. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($6.64, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $1.04</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $1.04 returned to MP2.

I'm obviously check/folding this river, no point in going on

Results:
Final pot: $6.64

I feel like I sucked myself in by trying to be agressive and then got most of my money in as a dog, chasing slim (but correct) odds. This cannot be any profitable in the long run.
I thikn the lesson is that I should not try semibluffs or abort when villain is not likely to give a free card, odds or not...

Any comments/help/alternatives would be appreciated. How's my line of thinking during the hand?