View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Online banking... security versus liquidity while traveling

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are others on this board that know more about this than me, but I'm pretty sure that worrying about the FDIC insurance is mostly a waste of time. The chance that WAMU goes bankrupt, takes all of your money, and the government refuses to reimburse more than your 100k is pretty much zero.

[/ QUOTE ]

"NEW YORK, Sept 10 (Reuters) - Washington Mutual Inc (WM.N: Quote, Profile , Research) said on Monday that most U.S. housing markets are weakening, creating a "near perfect storm" that may force the largest U.S. savings and loan to set aside more money for bad loans."

http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinv...NG-UPDATE-3.XML

Who knows how bad things could possibly get in the year OP is gone. I don't think there is any reason to not make sure you are insured for all your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, to clarify, at Wamu, we would be covered up to 200k. It's the ING account that is only covered for 100k at the moment.

If I add my wife I assume it will go to 200k automatically. But I'm not sure how difficult it is to go through that process. At Wamu it's easy, you just walk into the bank together. Not possible at ING.