View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Is tipping from your pocket illegal?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So let me get this straight, one can tip the dealer with pocket change/chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

technically speaking isnt this really the only proper way to tip? i thought by most rules one was not allowed to tip from one's stack since it takes money off of the table but the rule is never enforced (nor should it be).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard or seen a complaint about tipping dealers from a stack. But ten years ago I worked the floor at Hollywood Park and occasionally someone would complain about the fact HP allowed people to play the horses with chips from their stack. Generally I'd handle it by asking to talk to the player away from the table at his convenience.

If we got away I'd say, "Sir, most people believe that allowing people to bet the horses helps the action here. Betting from their stack is a convenience for them even though it takes a little money off the table. Look at that table (pointing to a table full of horse bettors) versus that table (where nobody was betting horses). Which game has more action?

That never failed to quell the complaints except for an uber-nit or two. And keeping uber-nits happy should never be a cardroom priority.

~ Rick