Thread: Guns in America
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Guns in America

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Those guns come from somewhere, and are purchased legally before they cross over to the illegal resale market. I have to believe that the gun show loophole is the portal for a huge percentage of these guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as a "gun show loophole".

At the risk of repeating myself, let me repeat myself.

There is no such thing as a "gun show loophole".

A gun show is a sales event put on by a reputable production company. They sell table space to gun dealers, and charge admission to the public. Every gun show I have ever heard of requires that vendors are federally licensed gun dealers who rigorously conform to and comply with all state and federal laws.

To purchase a gun at a gun show from a vendor, you must pass federal and state guidelines. The federal requirement is a real-time check of your ID against the federal criminal database. Some states require a locally issued purchase permit, either for all guns or just for hand guns. The feds waive their check if you have a state permit. There is no other way to purchase a gun from a vendor at a gun show.

Often private citizens take guns to a gun show to offer them for sale to the gun dealers. It sometimes happens that an individual attending the show sees another individual with a gun for sale, asks about it, and buys it on a person to person basis without a licensed dealer involved. This is a private sale, regardless if it takes place at a gun show, at a gun range, in a home, or under a bridge in the dark of night. Specific laws regarding private sales of firearms vary from state to state.

If you are selling a gun in a private sale, you had best be familiar with, and obey, your state laws regarding private sales. And those laws are generally quite different than the laws governing sales by licensed dealers. There are no loopholes for sales at gun shows. If you are a dealer at a gun show, you must obey the laws applicable to dealers. If you are a private citizen at a gun show, you must obey the laws applicable to a private citizen. No exception. No loopholes.

[ QUOTE ]
I have to believe that the gun show loophole is the portal for a huge percentage of these guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fie. I fart in your general direction. You haven't a clue as to what a "huge percentage" is, or how such sales could possibly occur at a gun show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked in gun shows for years and I most certainly can't tell you what the law IS I can tell you how it was told to me.

To legally sell a gun as a buisness you must have a FFL. However many people who sell guns at a gunshow do try to sell under a loophole of selling their "personal collection". Because you are allowed to sell your personal guns at gun shows w/o filling out any of the paperwork if either party had a FFL.

So the way it works is John buys various guns from various places, like at a gun show, then they put it on their table as a "personal gun collection sale". I've also heard of dealers with FFL's buying a gun and selling it as a consignment gun w/o putting it on their papers.

I think a way to clean it ALL up would be to have 2 people with the ATF work every gun show at the promoters expense and every person to person sale must go through the ATF.

I've personally sold used guns at new prices because they were part of my personal collection and the person buying didn't have to fill out paperwork. But I have alsways asked the buyer for a DL so I could verify who they were and if the cops every came looking for me I could pass that on.

P.S. - I don't know if I misunderstood you or not I do know that (in Tn) even if you have a CCP you still have to go through their "instacheck" with TBI.

P.P.S. - At every gun show I've been to there's someone checking all guns that enter the building to make sure they're unloaded. Well the guy that checked guns at this articualr show was an off duty police officer.

So I'm in the gun show and I hear "Oh Shiat, I've been shot!"

Turns out the off duty officer cleared the gun by pulling the trigger and shot some dude in the leg.