View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: A Story, A Hypothetical, And A Question:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How are we 'all' guilty? Nobody I know personally has killed any Iraquis, nobody I know (or, almost nobody) supports the war in Iraq, supports Bush, voted for Bush, etc etc etc. How could people who are ooposed to war and who didn't participate in the actual killings (or in the ordering of said killings) of innocent people be 'guilty'?

[/ QUOTE ]

By the same logic used to say the people in Hiroshima were guilty of Japan's deeds and the people of Dresden were guilty of Hitler's deeds and the people of Tripoli were guilty of Qaddafi's deeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is saying the normal citizens of Hiroshima et al are guilty of anything, but rather that some civilian casualties are unavoidable and justified when waging a war. Sometimes its a trade off of one group of citizens for another. The death of Hiroshima citizens likely helped save other Japanese civilians as well as soldiers on both sides.

No war can be waged perfectly to avoid all civilian casualties, and avioding them can actually lead to more deaths due to forcing you to choose a less good option of conducting the war.