View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Introducing a kid to good music

[ QUOTE ]
At that age I think most kids wouldn't really be able to listen to the Beatles and say they like it more than N'Sync or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is likely true in general.

[ QUOTE ]
When I was real young (maybe 5-10, im 21 now) my dad would always play The Beatles on long car rides. At the time I thought they sucked. It seemed like all of their songs were 2 minutes long and they just repeated the same words over and over.

Now the Beatles are my absolute .favorite. I guess at the time I just didnt understand what they were all about.

[/ QUOTE ]
this was kinda the point of my earlier post. a kid might not really like the beatles when he first hears them at a young age, or he might feel indifferent towards them, or he might not even be able to tell them apart from n'sync--yet, years later, when his musical tastes have broadened and developed and matured, that same kid will often re-discover the beatles and come to love their music.

i think a big reason is that their music is extremely accessible, but upon closer inspection contains unexpected degrees of sophistication. so even if you play it for kids that are relatively young, it'll still pay off years down the line.