View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Patriots get caught with camera man taping NY Jets coaches playcal

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If all they were doing was focusing a camera on certain coaches then who cares. I'm sure this happens all the time.

Eavesdropping on radio signals is another matter though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? It's just an arms race. Did it used to be OK to try to catch signals from your own sidelines, but cameras with zooms was another matter?

I mean, I get what you're saying, but I don't really see how you make the distinction. Spying is spying. Teams employed radio communication with the QB/booth/etc partly due to convenience, and partly because it's harder to spy on. Maybe now teams need more security on their radio lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's a question of who supplies the radio. I was under the impression that the radios were kept at the stadium. Thus, visitors to NE get radios supplied to them by NE. Using this to spy just seems wrong in a way that using a zoom lens isn't.

If the radios were supplied by the NFL (or each team supplies its own radio) and NE has absolutely nothing to do with them, it is still wrong for NE to eavesdrop, but less wrong. But would this only lead to each team hiring technical "geeks" to hack into radios?