Thread: Classic Movies
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Classic Movies

So I rented Casablanca this weekend due to the overwhelming praise for it here, and I wasn't disappointed. I was a little worried heading in that, after all the hype I've heard about it, it wouldn't live up. But it did. Great call.

Bogart is seriously bad-ass. That may be one of the greatest characters I've ever seen in a movie. I'm sure I'm the only one around here who hasn't seen it, so I'm not worried about spoilers. But I was pleasantly surprised by the ending. I was anticipating a happy ending where he gets the girl, but alas it wasn't to be. Which is great, because I expected all these classic movies to be highly formulaic and predictable. Whoever mentioned the quality of the last scene, and the memorable lines from it - was bang on. I watched it twice.

I think I'd actually like to attack the classic Westerns next. I have a good foundation (well, I've seen some of them anyway) and would love to see some more.

So, let's say starting at the beginning - what are the ones I must see? I'd like to watch them chronologically if possible. Where do I start? I know that a lot of you mentioned some in this thread, but where to begin?