Thread: Guns in America
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Guns in America

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure you understand modern warfare as well as you seem to think you do. See Vietnam, Afghanistan (Soviet primarily), Iraq, and other examples of how a well armed population can be an absolute bitch to forcibly coerce even in the face of very modern armies.

Funny thing is I had a recent conversation on the subject of the issues a foreign nation would have in trying to occupy the US during a drive through West VA. God, dealing with an underdeveloped and heavily forested space infested with heavily armed and highly experienced marksman? Forget Vietnam, that would be a quagmire. We couldn't see a way to effectively control the region without extreme numbers.

I'm quite curious how many of the respondents are familiar with the American south and the more rural regions of our country because I see a disconnect understanding the stats and the reality of those places.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that you understand current events as well you think you do. The resistance forces in those countries were successful for a variety of reasons, some political, some military. They most certainly were not successful because the "enlightened" governments of Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan dutifully protected some "natural" right of the populace to bear arms. Furthermore, the opposition forces in those countries resisted with military hardware, most of it supplied by foreign governments (or pilfered from internal standing armies).

Also, I am from Alabama (aka the rural South), so there is no disconnect for me. The idea that Joe Deer Hunter could band together with his buddies and resist the U.S. military (or any modern military) is a fantasy of state militia groups and people who watched Red Dawn one too many times.