View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: 10/20. Ok call down? (Boring, but I run bad)

[ QUOTE ]
Then I would call and try to catch J on the turn and if he bets the turn I would fold!

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a bad plan. You really don't have the odds to call for 1 clean out. If the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] falls, are you going to raise the big streets? You really can't cause that card completes a big part of his range.

You also forgot the 3rd situation where you raise the flop, villain meekly calls with his king, then sees a safe turn card and decides to donk again. Then you invest 3BB to call down (or fold the turn and risk being outplayed).

[ QUOTE ]

...I think with raise in duel with such relatively passive player we much better know where we stand especially if he rerise!

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising for info sucks. You pay way to much for the info, and the information you buy often isn't reliable enough to make a thin fold so you end up calling down anyways and just spewing, or folding the best hand and spewing even more. Donk/3bet is a pretty common flop line for a flushdraw. So you can't really fold the turn, and on the river your raise has juiced the pot enough that you have to make a crying call in case he has air.

The best way to "buy" info is to call people down a lot in the beginning and build up your reads on them. This has the added bonus of insuring you against getting outplayed by worse hands, and you also get an "unbluffable" image which has a lot of value. Later on you can start making thin but good folds when you can pinpoint villains range more effectively.