View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Re: 2007 Pac 10 football thread

[ QUOTE ]
Not being able to watch the WSU game this week, I have no idea if SDSU just sucks balls or if Brink was actually able to throw a ball past 15 yards without it being a duck. Given that he hasn't his whole career, I assume they just suck and we're still going to blow this year. I thought the Wisc game was a lot less impressive than some people think.

[censored] Alex Brink [censored] Bill Doba [censored] Mike Levenseller asdlfkjasdflkajsfalksj

(I really hate this team as its composed and I think we need a coaching change badly. Our defense is horrible and while we've got skill on offense the playcalling is terrible and some of the choices (starting Brink at all costs) are very suspect. Top that off with the fact that we've recruited poorly since Price left, and I'm just rooting for this all to blow up so we can get better sooner.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I was at both of WSU's games so far and have nothing but positive things to say about Brink in general. Granted SDSU's defense is terrible, but Brink was hitting his receivers in stride yesterday and looked very composed. Also, the receivers this year have really great hands and I have not seen the dropped passes that have plagued the Cougs the past couple years. The O-line has been better than advertised, giving Brink time to throw and also opening up lanes for an effective rushing attack (evident against Wisc and not really needed against SDSU).

The defense is shaky and is gonna give up points all year. The secondary is particularly young and it appears their gameplan is to play off the receivers so as not to surrender a big play over the top. What it amounts to is plenty of open receivers on short routes, which was a frustrating problem against Wisc. Pass rush is nowhere to be found, compounding the problem. I'm cautiously optimistic that the defense will improve over the course of the season, since it's mainly underclassmen lacking game experience right now.

As for the coaching staff, I've never been a fan of Doba as head coach. Playcalling has been suspect and recruiting is subpar (though admittedly, Pullman is about as tough a place to recruit to as any). It's a bowl game or bust for Doba this season imo.