View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: how to learn live game\'s tell?

It sounds like you are new to live play so here are a couple of the tells I found helpful when I first started playing. Most of these came from limit but they are aplicable to no-limit.

Turn pairs board and flop bettor sighs but still bets. Flop 7 10 Q. 4 players in. One guy bets everybody calls. Turn is another Q. It is checked to the original bettor. He sighs like he is unhappy to see the third queen. Then he bets into 3 people? The bettor always has the 3 queens or a boat.

This may be obvious, but in the almost same situation as above when the turn is a queen, a player not in the hand bangs the table. He had a queen and it makes it less likely your opponents hold the other queen. Same goes for when you have a set and player is having trouble folding on the turn. A river card which would help make the straight comes and the folder winces a little. This makes for a better chance your set will hold.

The last two have more to do with knowing your opponents understand the game. In limit is more important to bet your big hands strongly to try and protect your hand.

I was playing with a guy who is a good player. There were four people in including myself. The hand was capped at four bets before the flop by good player.

Flop K22. He checks and it is checked around to me. I check my pair and give him a wink. I am 90% sure he has KK and a boat. There were four bets and no bets on the flop? Alarm bells. He would make a flop bet here with AA AK and AQ. He would bet QQ,JJ,1010 to see where he was at. He would also make a continuation bet with nothing to try and pick up the pot. The only thing he wouldn't do is check.

Turn came out somebody bet, i folded my pair, and good player started the raising war with his boat.

Lastly a good/decent player who just calls on the button with just the small blind and big blind left. The standard play for the button is to raise or fold here. If he just calls he probably has a premium hand and doesn't want the blinds to fold.