View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Ask mrbaseball about trading for a living

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think it's possible through some miracle of good fortune that over the years you have made better than average choices in your life and just beat variance? or is there some aspect of your particular existence that makes you special in that you won while thousands of others have failed? Can you explain why you have come out on top and others who have claimed to be just as smart as you have failed? is it luck or do you have the something special that nobody else has? and if you're special, what makes you special?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good questions! I don't think I am special first off. But I have always taken a survivalist attitude and approach. My goal was to have a career. There will always be another trade so why go to the mat with any one trade in particular? I have seen many guys do phenominally well only to blow out in spectacular fashion. I have never gotten greedy and I have never gotten cocky. As a result I have carved out a very nice life for myself.

I have seen the "fooled by randomness" effect many times over both with others and myself. And early on in my career way before fooled by randomness was even written I had that notion in the back of my mind. That is, that my results were possibly fluky or lucky or random. Some of them were [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But I always stayed grounded through the good times and bad and never got full of myself. The big ego traders are a dime a dozen. They shoot hard and heavy from the hip and get fooled into thinking they actually know everything. They don't and I have seen a million of bite the dust. I have also seen a very select few take the money and run. Then there are the really great traders who are truly magnificient. As Bobby Jones said about Jack Nicholas "they play a game I am unfamiliar with".

I have had my share of luck both the good and the bad. But the reason I am still doing what I love is that I never lost sight of my desire for a long and lucrative career and took a do or die shot at glory and riches. That is not to imply that I haven't been in do die situations [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]