View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: 4/8: Pocket 10\'s curse or blessing-

Thanks all for the advice. I think if I could play this hand again I would raise the flop once (to try to get the blinds to fold). But once they call 2 cold, they're going to call 2 cold again so no point in raising the 2nd time.

For those curious on the turn I called (figuring that one of the blinds likely had a 9 and now I was calling for boat value). Clearly I had underestimated the "power of the big bet" on a small stakes table as one of the blinds folded to the single turn bet and the other blind agonized for 10-15 seconds before making the call (I'm now confident that a turn raise gets him to fold 80+% of the time). The river came a J and the drunk villan bet again, I called and the blind called. Thd drunk villian turned over 6 5 (surpise) and the blind turned over AJ and raked in a large pot.

I think I can take two key learnings away from this:

1. raising on the flop with an overpair of 10's only makes sense if I can get other players to fold. Hence why I think I would make the initial flop raise again but not the cap.

2. Never underestimate the "power of the big bet" in SSH (clearly there someplayers who will insta call the flop but you still have a chance to get them to fold to a big bet). Provided I still have an overpair after the turn, this is the best time to try to drive the overcard hands out of the pot.

Thanks all for the warm welcomes and the feedback on my hand.