[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that a store should be allwoed to have the policy that they search their customer's bags before they leave. If you don't like it, don't shop there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of whether or not this is the store's policy, what right does the store have to detain you if you don't comply? Violating a store policy does not cause you to suddenly lose all of your civil rights.

The store's remedy for those who do not obey their policies is to inform these people that they are no longer permitted on their property. If these people return to the store, they can be charged with trespassing.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the shoplifter move on to the next circuit city that has the same policy. Very effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this have to do with shoplifting? This is about the store checking receipts at the door.

The store can detain actual shoplifters all they want. They just need to keep their hands off those of us who haven't actually violated any laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you feel it infringes on your rights doesnt mean they are incorrect that it is an effective shoplifting different. As the poster you responded to said, dont like it, dont shop there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense for you to continue shopping in a store whose policies you do not agree with and have no intention of following.

I don't see why the store should be permitted to violate my rights if I still decided to set foot inside their premises, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because by setting foot inside the door you voluntarily agree to relinquish that right. The conspicuous posting of the policy creates an implied contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

An implied contract that they are allowed to forcibly detain me? No, it does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deleted An implied contract that they can check your receipt, and if you don't comply then they can detain you on reasonable suspicion within a reasonable distance and time of your leaving the store.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep asserting this, it doesn't make it even remotely reasonable. There is no such implied contract.