View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Borgata $1K - Big Pair in BB with lots o\' limpers

Results:

I raised to 500, got 1 caller, a guy who was on tilt because I just completed an open-ended straight against his top pair, top kicker and got him to pay a huge value bet on the river. The guy was terrible, I could read him like a book. Flop came 9 8 6 rainbow. I bet 750, he called. I thought he had either top pair or a draw, I was pretty sure he didn't flop a set. Turn was a 2, I bet 1800 (1/2 his stack), he thought for a while and folded.

Anyway, the specific hand in a $1K event was more of a backdrop for a larger discussion involving playing the hand with deeper stacks, against better players, with more at stake. Such as the hand with Gus, where halfway decent players like Chip Reese, Mike Matusow, and Shaniac were at the table. There, a big raise from the BB did turn Gus's hand face-up (I agree this isn't the case in a 1K event where you start with 7K, since people will make this move with a variety of hands to try to pick up the limps, which are a significant % of the stacks, and the players won't be nearly as good on average). I'm sure every one of the players who called Gus's raise said to himself, "Awesome, he has a big hand, he's going to have to make a big bet on the flop at the very least and he's out of position, I'm calling."

No matter how good you are postflop, playing OOP against many opponents is difficult. In the Gus hand, after the flop, I had a bunch of people behind me, so I felt I had to raise (I also thought my image was so crappy that I might generate more action by raising, which turned out to be correct) to avoid giving a free card to a flush draw. If I was last to act in the Gus hand after the flop and just called, what should he do on the turn? Check/fold? If so, this is super exploitable. If not, the implied odds are getting up there.

An amusing hand from today's Borgata $1500 event. Limper in front of me, I limped in MP with 54s, everyone including SB folded, BB checked. A 2 T flop, rag turn, rag river. Checked around on all 3 streets. I said I had 5 high, first limper turned over 7 high, BB turned over KK. Maybe he read my post before the tournament and didn't want to reveal the strength of his hand. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]