Thread: Chicago suburbs
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Chicago suburbs

Wheaton and Glen Ellyn feel a little like Naperville felt fifteen years ago. Both are nice, pretty in the fall, have great schools, are pricey, and lie within thirty minutes of downtown Chicago. Wheaton fwiw is extremely christian, people used to say it was on a trivial pursuit card for having more churches per capita than any other town in america. It was actually a pretty cool place to go to HS and didn't seem weirdly religious, but yeah, it's not the place I would have wanted to spend my twenties in.

Quick story, my parents had friends from California who moved into wheaton when I was in HS, they moved into a nice neighborhood, and true to form, their friendly wheaton neighbors threw a "welcome to the neighborhood" party for them. It was BYOB party, which in retrospect for wheaton was unusual. So the newcomers showed up with some wine or some beer and knocked on the door. The host of the party answered the door, looked at their booze, and made an awkward face...it was Bring Your Own Bible.

that's not an urban myth fwiw, I am good friends with the daughter of the family it happened to. THere was a miscommunication, they had been invited to an ongoing bible study group. Oh well, I guess there's always Glen Ellyn.

btw illini43, pal joey's is in winfield. Haha never thought I'd write that on 2p2.