View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Bands that drastically changed musical styles

[ QUOTE ]
1st time I saw the Beastie Boys they were called the Young & the Useless at CBGBs, they were a typical NYC Hardcore band with punk influences (they worshiped the Bad Brains like the rest of us did back then). Their drummer was Kate Jackson from Luscious Jackson. They didn't do any rapping at all(check out Pollywog Stew for an example). A year later they came out with a joke 12" called Cookie Puss which surprisingly got some club play which made fun of Carvel's ice cream cake character. Rick Rubin picked them up and produced She's On It and that was the first punk-rap crossover album ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to nit you, but the Beastie Boys were always the Beastie Boys. It was Adam Yauch (MCA), Mike D, John Berry on guitar, and Kate Schellenbach (not Jackson) on drums.

Adam Horovitz (Adrock) was in a similar punk band (who wasn't back then?") called the Young and the Useless. BBoys dropped Berry and picked up Adrock. After Cookie Puss, they dropped Schellenbach and hooked up with Rubin, and so on.

They've done it all. Too much to type about but really a perfect answer for this thread. Them and the Beatles.

They (bboys) are my favorite of all time. I love everything they've done.