View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: phydaux\'s PBP - Confessions of a uNL grinder

One thing I don't think I've ever seen anyone articulate about position....

Having position against an aggressive and particularly a good aggressive player is much more important than against a bad or passive player.

OOP against a station is not such a big deal. He's still calling you down all the way if you're strong enough to be betting. If he ever raises you still know he has a monster. And if you have some marginal hand you can usually still see a cheap showdown. Yes, you'd rather have position on him, but he's not going to use position to his advantage very often and force you to make hard decisions.

OOP against a LAG, maniac or even a strong TAG is where you get punished. This is where they bet until you fold. Unless you're trapping or have decided in advance to felt you're in for a world of pain. In fact in these situations, unless you're drawing and taking advantage of implied odds, you pretty much need to decided on the flop if you're calling up to 3 PSB's or not. If not, you should fold now. No point in calling the flop and turn if you're just going to fold the river when you know villain is 3-barreling every time, not matter what.

Bottom line, the better the opponent and the more aggressive the opponent the more vital position becomes.