View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Great subtle moments in movies

[ QUOTE ]
Spinal Tap ... hard to pick just one, but if I had to it's this one: Nigel is playing his guitar by bowing it with a violin (not a bow, an entire violin). The guitar is making the expected raucous mess of feedback and noise, but he pauses as if something is not quite right ... and tunes the *violin*.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also from Spinal Tap, two moments from the conversation between the band manager and Fran Drescher. The manager (Ian) asks a direct question about whether or not the executives like the album cover. Drescher immediately answers "no", THEN Ian says "and you can give it to me straight" even though she just did give it to him straight.

The argument is getting heated and Drescher says "Money talks, bulls--t walks," and just on the very edge of the camera Ian scrunches up his face in surprise as if he's never heard the phrase before and has no idea what it means nor can he figure it out, but obviously they don't dwell on this for a second.

Skip this paragraph if you don't want Rocky Balboa sort-of spoilers. Balboa and Dixon are going at it like warriors, it's clearly become one of the best fights ever and we're in round 8 or 9. At one point a huge punch gets thrown and connects and it cuts to the announcers. Max Kellerman raises his eyebrows slightly and looks over at the other announcers in slow-motion. The 2-second shot says it all - "holy [censored], this fight was supposed to be a joke and it's become the greatest [censored] thing I've ever seen in my life."

Oh also, Dead Poets Society when the kids stand up on the desk.