Thread: Classic Movies
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Classic Movies

So I've pretty much had it with movies recently, and I'm looking to expand my film base. Lately I'll watch any piece of crap that comes On Demand and 9 out of 10 times I end up regretting it. So Loungers, I'm looking to you to suggest some classic movies that I should see. I know that 'classic' is a subjective term, especially given that some one you were around for the first talkies (I kid, I kid). But I'm really looking for movies pre-1970 (again, I know that some of you were already losing your hair by that point but...)

I went through a phase years ago where I got really into those late 60's, early 70's movies (i.e. Bonnie and Clyde, Butch Cassidy, etc) and I didn't really enjoy them. I found them slow and, to be honest, quite boring. I don't mind character development in film, but I need more out of a movie than just that.

I've enjoyed every Hitchcock film I've ever seen, especially North by Northwest, The Birds, and Vertigo.
I also used to love watching Westerns with my grandfather. Maybe it's just the good times spent watching with him that I remember, but I think I'd enjoy them today as well. I remember watching The Dirty Dozen and thinking it was the most kick-ass thing I'd ever seen.

I remember sitting through Citizen Kane years ago wondering 'what's the big deal?'

I'm looking for films that hold up. So consider yourself seeing your recommedations for the first time, as a typical ADD-ridden Gen X'er who has the attention span of a mosquito. I'm not saying I need to see blockbuster action movies, but you know what I mean. So Loungers - what are some 'must-see classics' that I need to see?