View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Probability Question / Proof Needed (a toughie!)

[ QUOTE ]
@OP: uhm, could you fit your question in one or two sentences?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I was just rambling. No specific question really. Just randomly picked a title.

[ QUOTE ]
nobody should impinge on the lives of others based on beliefs they are unable to substantiate to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya they can't substantiate them to others by having them flip a coin a million times, but they can explain to them their personal experiences and how those experiences have affected them. I imagine you wouldn't consider that impinging on others' lives though. I agree that forcing religion onto people in the various ways that it is done is wrong.

jason1990: Ya good point. Different interpretations of the word probability would obviously lead to different answers. I guess that's basically the point I was trying to make, that it's ridiculous for someone to say "the probability of God exisiting is 1 in a billion, so either you're really lucky or God doesn't exist."

I will read about the biased coin thing. For an individual trial it seems quite obvious that it's 50/50 for us regardless of which way it's biased assuming we can pick. I'm interested in what the huge discussion was about.