View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: The four lift workout plan

Thanks for the feedback. I've actually got yoga planned for a day or two a week (depends how tough the beginner class is and just how many attractive women there are). I start this weekend actually so lets see how that goes.

I was just reading the captains of crush thread, I'll probably wind up buying some as I have a lot of desk time.

I may well move to a full 2 day split (squats, chinups, shoulders, front abdominals / deads, bench, calf raise, obliques) and 4 days a week training, but for now, I'm coping (a bit of lower back tightness but I've always had that and the foam roller is getting well used [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

So far I've been feeling fine the next day (eg I tend to play squash or 5 a side soccer on most of my non lifting days and feel pretty good during) so my body seems able to handle it.

We'll see what happens when I start moving serious weight though. Right now the "big" squat sets are only at about bodyweight and the big deads are only about 1.2x (220lbs and 260lbs respectively)

As for the low volume, I'm not training for size or to lose fat (although at some point in the future I may focus a bit more on simply looking good naked). I'm pretty much after strength and improved athletic performance.

My goal is to get back to where I was when in the army - double bodyweight squat and dead, bodyweight bench (right now a wimpy bit over half , 40lb weighted pullups.

I don't think this routine, even with variations and changed set/rep schemes, will get me all the way there, but it will give me a hell of a start before I need to look in to assistance work etc.