View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

Just answering questions that weren't answered or adding to some. [ QUOTE ]
1. What are the gun ownership laws? How about carrying concealed in public? Would you need some kind of license, or bribe someone? What about knives?

[/ QUOTE ] My sources for answering this question are various conversations I've had with Argentine friends who are also lawyers. I may not remember it all, but you can own a gun but it is quite a process to get one. You need some kind of legal residency in the country which as discussed can be tough to get. After that you need to pass a psychological test, a shooting test, a background test and of course give finger prints. With all of that you can get a license. Then you can buy a gun but there is about a 2 week waiting period or so. The gun will be registered to you. This is not from a lawyer but I remember a different friend who I would judge as being informed telling me that carrying a concealed weapon is a major no-no. I don't know about knives.

[ QUOTE ]
2. What's the general attitude towards gays? Are there gay neighborhoods like in most large US cities? Is gay marriage supported or opposed by most people?

[/ QUOTE ] Buenos Aires is relatively a very forward thinking city considering homosexuals. Civil Unions are legal. Marriages no. I personally believe most people carry the sentiment of tolerance. I don't hear much very much gay-bashing. Just sort of people screwing around calling their friends gay. Nothing really deeply rooted in hate. I don't know necessarily about neighborhoods being "gay." I believe certain sections of Palermo as well as Once are known for having a higher % population of gays. I don't know if that answers your question.

[ QUOTE ]
4. I get the impression restaurants are super cheap. But I really like to cook, and I hate red meat. Do the grocery stores have a good selection of fresh produce and fish? Are there any farmers market type things? Do most apartments have decent stovetops? Are they gas or electric?

[/ QUOTE ] There are some large supermarkets that have a fairly wide selection (although I've had problems finding a turkey but at the same time they had duck, pheasant and a whole bunch of others that I would consider rarer birds). I'd imagine most apartments have stovetops. If not, pick another. They are usually gas. Most apartments I go to the stoves are considerably older and the heat settings might be something you find difficult to use. Ovens are another thing. I've yet to see an oven with a temperature setting down here, but then again I don't go around inspecting people's kitchen appliances. Just sort of varying degrees of hot.

[ QUOTE ]
6. I assume there's a lot of bugs since it's a warm climate. Are there more/less than the southern US? How about weird reptiles or rodents or other gross small things?

[/ QUOTE ] Where I'm from mosquitoes get really bad in the summer. Here, at least last year, they didn't really have a season. I remember once, the news and everyone was complaining about mosquitoes and the winter just started. I've yet to figure it out. It seems to come at different times. If you keep things clean, your windows closed and maybe buy some products at a supermarket you should be fine. I've never lived in the southern US so I don't know how to answer your question. I've never had problems with rodents or reptiles in my building.

[ QUOTE ]
7. How popular is tennis? Are there public courts? If so, do you ever see people playing?

[/ QUOTE ] Just wanted to add that the courts are nearly all clay here.

[ QUOTE ]
8. People have said that landlords prefer USD cash payments for rent. So do most/all businesses accept USD?

[/ QUOTE ] There are very few. USD are used selectively and normally for only bigger transactions such as houses and cars. Plane tickets are usually listed in USD.

[ QUOTE ]
9. What's the general political landscape like? Is it more left/right of the US? What are the major political parties? Do people care about politics less/more than here?

[/ QUOTE ] Its humorous. But then again it is everywhere. This is something that I just advise you to do a little research on as although I follow it, I don't feel qualified to give an solid answer. But by definitions you would be accustomed to from the American educational system Argentina would be considered more to the left. Of course there are a billion exceptions especially because the Catholic Church can still peak its head into matters and just other things but I would define it as such. I also think people are more active politically then in the US. Beyond having obligatory voting, I believe people are more likely to get involved in demonstrations, protests and overall not be as apathetic. Some of those are known to turn violent.