Thread: SamG's Log
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: SamG\'s Log

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I gather he's saying GTG-- specifically don't fail. I'm saying mix it up, do more pull-ups a la GTG, and do negatives in the near term, at least until he gets a couple more reps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that means grease the groove. I agree with that deal 100% percent. I use it for increasing work capacity with things like BW squats etc (granted for very small segments of my mesocycle).

But GTG is all about low intensity. You can't GTG training to failure 5 a day doing "heavy" triples. You'll burn out your CNS. I think this a basic principle heavily covered by Pavel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did mean grease the groove, but not as strictly as described in the article. By triples do you mean 21's? I was never suggesting he do something like that. I meant stick to straight pullups.

I could be wrong but I dont think doing 4 pullups to failure is going to tax his CNS all that bad. Pullups to failure is alot different then negatives to failure.

If I was in his position I would be doing my 4 pullups once a day every day for the next week. Then Id take a few days off of them. When I came back I would surely be able to put up 5 or 6.

This is exactly what I did when I was first learning the pullup. I did them nearly everyday until I had a respectable number not to embarass myself in the freshman year physical fitness test.

I think hes going to make gains at this stage no matter what path he takes to get there. He should probably just stick to what hes doing, because it is obviously working.