View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Post your suggestions to improve the Fedex Playoffs

I don't follow the PGA Tour that much, but I kind of like what I've seen so far. This (late August/early September) has historically been a dead spot on the Tour's schedule. I think the Tour is doing the right thing to try to find something to liven up these three-four weeks.

I like the fact that they've paired up the players in order, which gave us the Tiger/Phil/Vijay pairing last week. That's great stuff that gave what would otherwise be a 2nd rate tour event a great buzz for Thursday and Friday. The Tour was getting front-page, major-esque coverage, and it was all because of the FedEx Cup.

I don't think it's a big deal that not "enough" guys are "moving up" to make the cut into the next week's tournaments. It should be hard for a guy who's #140 to make it to week 2; it should be hard for a guy who's #100 to make it to week 3; it should be hard for a guy who's #65 to make it to week 4. There should need to be a top 3 finish or a succession of top 10s to pull that off. One decent week shouldn't overcome an average or mediocre season.

As far as top players skipping events, so what? If Phil wants to stay home this week to be there for the first day of school and soccer practice, well, then, he takes a risk that someone (probably Tiger) will put him in a hole for the Tour Championship.