View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: 200-400 Ace to Cinco TD

[ QUOTE ]
200-400 Mixed Game

Ace to 5 TD up to bat.

I am in the bb with A, 2, 3, rag, rag.

A solid player raises and the button cold calls (O'Neal for those who know).

[/ QUOTE ]

1300 in the pot

[ QUOTE ]
A little background info on the solid player, I had played with him a few days and hadn't seen him get out of line too many times if any at all. Also when he is running bad he seems to play cautiously, not value raising or value betting enough. At the time he was running slightly bad.

1st Draw:

I draw 2, solid player draws 1 and O'Neal draws 2.

Gin!!! I pull a 5 and 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice draw, but not really gin--especially from up front, as we soon shall see...

[ QUOTE ]
I check, solid player bets, O'Neal raises, which means absolutely nothing usually, I 3 bet and solid player cold calls, O'Neal folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

2900 in pot

[ QUOTE ]
2nd Draw:

I stand pat and solid player stands PAT!!!

WTF!!!

So I check, solid player bets 400 and I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

His bet makes it 3300, so you're getting a little over 8:1.

[ QUOTE ]
3rd Draw:

I break the 7 and he stands pat.

I draw a banana.

I check and he checks and I feel sick, he tables 7642A.

Is this just a standard case of position winning him the pot or my stupidity?

Opinions seemed to vary at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

His position won the pot. I don't think you're stupid. But...

1. He drew to a 6 and played a 7. (He could have drawn to a 7 and hit a 6, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt.)

2. He raised btf. Why did he raise? To build a pot? To buy the button? I think the fact that O'neal was on the button has a lot to do with this, but I have to be honest and tell you that I don't know who O'neal is, but I bet SP knew and it affected his raise.

There are 15 hands that are 1-card draws to a 6 or better, and 2/3 of them have a 6 in them. If his plan is, indeed, to stand on a 7 or better, a 7 represents 1/3 of his hits, so he ends up with a 76xxx 2/3*1/3 = 2/9 of the time.

Could you have rapped pat on the end with your 75xxx on the end getting 8:1 on a hand you were 2:9 to beat? Maybe, but first you have to tell us...

What was your plan before the first draw? (What were you going to stand on/draw to in various situations? What were you going to do with o'neal?)

When SP drew one, what range did you put him on?

What did you think SP needed to hit on his first draw in order for him to stand pat?

Who is O'neal?