View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Starting Rippetoe Today: A Few Questions Before I Start

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The way to burn the most fat from cardio is to do 45-60 minutes of light cardio @ 65-70% of your target heart rate (220-age) first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This level of cardio will burn off the most fat as higher intensity cardio will burn away protein/muscle after depleting the carbs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Disagree. It's important to consider what is burned long after the workout, in addition to what happens during the workout. I'm pretty sure the consensus is building that HIIT pwns light cardio for fat burning purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, post workout cardio will burn fat because of the depleted glycogen levels. I'd say it's the second best time to do cardio for fat burning. AM cardio being the first. I guess if you get in a PWO shake beforehand and don't do HIIT, then it should be okay.

HIIT is going to burn a lot more than just fat. The reason I advocate low-intensity AM cardio on empty stomach (for 45-60 min) is because it lets you stay in the fat burning zone without sacrificing any of your muscle.

The battle between HIIT and AM cardio has been going on for a long time. I would hardly say there is a "consensus" towards either one.