View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Tilting/chasing losses. Fight it or just quit playing?

A few times in my low-stakes poker "career" I have suffered a total loss of control - often for pathetic reasons - and started chasing my losses. Twice it has destroyed my modest bankroll that I had grinded out.
Now I definitely have some problems in my life right now that I need to sort out and as long as I haven't done that I probably shouldn't be playing at all - it contributed to my most recent tilt I'm sure. But that's another issue.

In any case I do not want to experience another meltdown like that again. There are two ways to achieve that: playing without ever tilting that badly again or quitting.

I think I will give it another try in a while, and I will attempt to follow strict rules of not playing above my limits and quitting when I feel tilt is about to surface. The problem is, I don't know if that will work.

My question is: Does the fact that I am capable of self-destructing behaviour at the tables prove once and for all that I am not qualified to play Poker and that I would be better off quitting right here and now?
I know that in the end it just comes down to me and my willingness to not let my emotions take over control. But maybe it is just in me that Poker will do that to me at times and nothing I ever try will change that. In that case there's no sense in playing.

Has anyone here overcome self-destructive tilting to a point that it will most likely not happen again (for all he knows)?