View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Let\'s build a business.

[ QUOTE ]
Chaos,

wow, 16 staff?

I assume there won't be 16 people on full-time arrangements, so can you just quickly outline your staff structure?

On a similar vein, have you worked out what kind of revenue you need to generate to breakeven?

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight from the business plan as it stands right now:

[ QUOTE ]
The company will have 18 employees.

Owner - Will be available to fill in for the manager on his night off. Will also be in charge of all accounting to before a system has been created for this position.
Manager - The manager will be in charge of personnel and the daily running of the establishment. Over the course of the first year we plan on having operations manuals so we can look to expand our business aggressively.
4 Bartenders - On weekend nights we plan on having 3 people behind the bar. On regular weekday nights we plan on having 1 plus the manager.
2 Coat Check - They will switch off according to their schedules.
2 ID check- One person will be checking IDs at the door.
2 Waitresses - One person a night will walk around with cheap shots to hand out dancers on the the dance floor.
4 Panini Grillers - We will have 2 people working at all times on the first floor. On busy nights we will up this number to 3.
3 DJs - There will be 1 DJ on duty every night to keep the latest beats going on the dance floor.
Once I've worked as fill-in manager for 6 months, the current manager and myself I will have written up an operations manual for a new manager, to allow the main manager another night off, and time to think about the business strategically in terms of new promotions, general marketing, and growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple notes:

-We'll most likely end up with a second manager.
-I'm cutting the number of bartenders to 2. This plus the manager on a busy night will be plenty, and then on slower nights, we'll alternate.
-1 Waitress will be enough, since we're only going to use her services 3 nights a week. Likewise with the coatcheck.
-Panini Grillers, going to shave one number off this as well. Will most likely half a part-time manager for this role, plus 2 part time employees. The head manager will oversee both the bar and the downstairs, and a part-time manager down there should be in place for future growth, even we don't hire out that way to start off.

Regarding DJs...I plan on having DJs 3-4 nights a week, and they will be students. As of this moment I'm not sure how we're going to go about this...whether or not we're going to hire them as employees, or contractors. I really want input from our customers on who they want to see in DJing, so that will play a major role. So right now to say we'll have "x" DJs doesn't make sense to me, so for ease I just said we'll have 3 DJs on the roll.

So when I say 16 or 18 or whatever number, it's just an estimate, and for the time being it's an overestimate to see if the business can handle the payroll strain, and the numbers show that it can.

I'll throw up the numbers once this week is up and I will know much better the costs of construction, so that I can be sure of cashflow.

As of this moment the B-plan is putting monthly expenses at approximately $30k, and the breakeven point is different from month to month (we'll be in the red for 4 months of the year as well) so I'm not sure how helpful that would be.