View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: The Dude Is In The Well

[ QUOTE ]
1) Maude or Bunny? and why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely Maude. First, I like not having the clap. Second, this world is better off the more seeds I plant.

[ QUOTE ]
2) stories about family members encouraging/discouraging poker, and their reasons why?

[/ QUOTE ]
When I first started learning poker, I told my family how fascinated I was by the depth and complexity of the game, blah blah blah. My dad offered to give me 10k to hire John Feeney as a coach (I hadn't contacted him yet, I had told my dad I feared he'd ask more than I could pay.) in return some of my future earnings. This was the first encouragement I got from anyone that confirmed the thought that I was smart enough to win at this game.

My mom, however, was convinced that I was on a road that would lead to ruining my life. She was convinced that I was addicted to gambling, and that I was going to end up in debt to mobsters. When I told her I was quitting my job to play poker, and that I wasn't going to get a job when I graduated college, she said "When people ask me what you're doing, I'm not going to tell them about this, because I'm so ashamed."

Other family members reacted somewhere in between, but eventually they've all stopped being concerned.