View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Short Stacking vs Full Buy-Ins

diebitter,

I read the advice in PNLHV1 for beginners to play with 40-60 big blinds, and only play top pair type hands unless you can get in for one bet in late position with good implied odds. But I'm not sure what they mean by 'top pair hands', particularly when applied to six max games.

For example, if you apply the short stack starting hands in GSIH but assume the first four positions have folded, then you'd be playing as follows:

UTG/MP: 99+, AQ+
CO/Btn: 77+, AT+, KQ
(Also play any pair, any suited broadway and any Axs after a couple of deep limpers in CO or Btn).

I assume in the blinds you'd play as for UTG/MP?

However, this seems to me to be WAY too tight for most six max games, and probably exploitable by good players.

I'm just wondering what kind of hands will be profitable to play with a 40-60 big blind stack in a typical online 6 max game? Should I still be stealing with anything on the button/isolating weak limpers with anything reasonable/restealing from TAGs?

From what I understand about short stacking I probably shouldn't, but then I'm unsure 'how low to go' in terms of top pair hands. Is playing this nitty really likely to be profitable in six max games, given that I'm folding my blinds most of the time?

Any advice? Thanks