View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Poker leading to social isolation

I've been playing almost 3 years now. I started playing $5 and $10 home game tournaments with friends. I really caught onto the game, and started to play online, and learn about as much of the game as possible. I really got into reading books, learning player bios, and following the poker scene through radio shows like Rounders. I mostly consider myself to be an internet player now. All of my friends still play the game on a casual level at home games, and none of them has taken the opportunity to learn it on a more serious level.

I've been able to learn alot about the game over the past 3 years. I've come pretty far from where I started and it has felt very rewarding. The downside to learning this great skill and talent is it can be a very lonely hobby at times.

I've been able to share a couple of hightlights. I won a trip to play in the Ultimate Poker Challenge online, and my friend was logged in and watching me play the final table from his home. It felt really good to have someone there, cheering me on for that. Another highlight, was when I was able to meet one of the Full Tilt pros in person at a nightclub. My buddies were there and met him too. He was a really cool down to earth guy, and very approachable and easy to talk to.

Other than, all my other hightlights have been we winning in tournaments online, and my buds get to hear about it afterwards. Poker doesn't have that same commraderie of winning in a team sport like Football or Basketball, where all the guys can enjoy a great accomplishment.

Even the activities involved in becoming better like the studying, posting, reading, and playing online can be real isolating. I sometimes feel I lose touch with reality after playing for awhile.

I guess in a way, I use poker to escape from reality, and thats what causes me to lose touch. It allows me to focus on the game, strategy, and opponents, and avoid real world issues like my life, career and people around me. Some people think pokers really tough - and it is; but alot of the time, I find it alot easier, and alot more fair than real life. Real life can be alot tougher to play and figure out. Poker, at least you know the odds, the situations, and that there are only 52 possible cards. Life can really just leave you guessing what will be dealt next.

If anyone else has any stories about dealing with poker and its effect on isolating you from others and losing touch with reality, I'd love to hear them. Forums like this have been the best way I've found to get in touch with others, and share ideas when it comes to poker.