View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Thread for Opponents of Iraq War: \"Why\"?

[ QUOTE ]
Many want democracy for social control. This doesnt square up with the general fight for freedom.

Shiites voted in the largest numbers, they stood the most to benefit from democracy since the system is mob rule. Their control over Iraq's ethnic minorities' resources and social welfare is what fuels the current civil war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sucks for them, since to really have a democracy you have to be willing to LOSE control. Installing democracies around the world, only to denouce them when the people who get voed in don't agree with you......well, that's pretty damned transparent.

And I agree that it's ONE part of the civil war. But it's harder to imagine a place that had running water, electricity, and jobs going to citizens that would still be involved in it. In my humble opinion, when we went in guns blazing, we had a VERY fine line to walk to ensure the country was put back together again quickly enough to stop the civil war. Instead, we drank a fifth of Jack, found the line, pissed on it, and promptly passed out.

I'd be [censored] pissed and fighting if I lived there too. When society breaks down, you fight for your neighbors, friends, and family first.