View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Ruling that put me in a tough spot.

So Im at my poker club and its my night to run the floor, I have ran the floor of the club about 2-3 times and have only had to make a ruling once. I was called over and was told that the dealer accidentally took cards into the muck, and the dealer told me the same, but the player, actually called.

So there was an allin bet and a call and the callers cards have been taken in by the dealer and then the action stopped and I was called over. After hearing everyones story, I told the dealer that the call was verbal binding and his cards dont go into the muck, since the dealer had been holding the cards the whole time. The player flipped over queen high and won the pot, and the person who bet all in mucked his hand.

I was told later that my ruling was wrong, and that the default ruling was that if cards are in the muck then they stay there and the hand is dead. But since Ive never read any official rule books or have been told which rulings I should make I played the situation by ear and gave the most objective ruling that I could come up with. I later apologized to the player, who was actually a regular at the room and someone I personally knew, that I made the wrong ruling and I was unaware that the default ruling was that mucked cards stay there.

comments appreciated.