View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth 27 Bluff Makes Matusow Fold KK

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, It's been a really long time since I've been, or posted, to/on this site.

Everybody here is really tightly wound. I've never seen so much complaining (about the title of this thread being a spoiler), calm down guys!

In response to this actual hand, and specifically to the guy who said "I can't fault Matasow's play on any street"... here goes.

It was a great hand, one of the best I've ever seen (I believe it's 100% on the level). I think Matasow played the hand horribly! Phil too. I think it came down to the Helmuth "getting over on him/Matasow wanting to "teach " Phil a lesson, made for a huge psycological meltdown for Matasow.

I see it like this... Matasow gets KK and thinks about what a big payday he gets on this hand. "OOOOH, Phil's raising.... my chance to suck him in".

I don't believe he ever thought about Phil having a set of Q's or J's until the bet on the river when the $40K bet is NOT something that Phil ever does on a straight bluff. Up to that point, he was just slow-playing, waiting to crack Helmuth. He smooth called the raises and bets on the flop and turn hoping to raise Phil on the river. Typically, Mikey always waits too long, too greedy. If the board doesn't pair the 6, Mikey surely raises. But the real reason he folds on the river is he just couldn't live with himself if he paid off $40K on trips for Phil. He wanted to get credit for making a huge laydown. That's why he mucked face up. And he's right about one point, Phil almost never bluffs on the river after 2 attempted bluffs. But he failed to realize that Phl could ONLY win that way. Out-thunk himself into what I thought was the woest play I've ever seen on HSP.

Phil comes off looking great, but in reality, he should have known EXACTLY where Mike was at (and probably did) and his bet on the river is actually horrible, because if Mike did IN FACT have an over pair to the board, Mike HAS to call and Phil knows that.

That hand was 100% the psycological "ego" game that those two play all the time. (Mikey does the same with Daniel) Each hates to lose to the other, each hates to be bluffed by the other. But Mike is still not a very good player and only a bad play, but timely "out-of-charachter" bet by Phil made this outcome.

And wasn't it classic of Phil to ask Mikey for the $500 for the 2-7 prop? LMAO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Moovyz, you are my new favorite poster. please post more