View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Ask me about being a sports writer!

[ QUOTE ]
the reason this thread turned into a pissing contest is because 90% of the male population has a sportswriter inside them, and when they see sports writing in the paper they're going to naturally think they can do better/know more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on friend...I guess another reason I got out of the business is I simply couldn't stomach this sort of reaction to everything anytime I said or did something someone didn't agree with. It's sad...I mean, people don't understand that sportswriters - while they may not be geniuses - do know their business and their craft much better than the average joe.

It has NOTHING to do with sports knowledge..it has everything to do with sports knowledge, ability to write, abililty to attack and deliver on deadline, the ability to interview athletes under any circumstance....it's a thankless job and it became even more so when those with no ability to step outside of themselves and see that it wasn't just "go to a game, drink beers, then write an EASY 1500 word story on the game".

I hesitated to post at all about this bc I - and others quickly warned me - was afraid it would turn into this pissing match for the exact reason you noted.

Thanks for chipping in.