View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: 3/6 reraise with 7s 4s

[ QUOTE ]
I am player of said hand pipedown speaks of. We disagree on several facts (i.e. - hand was 7s-5s, not 7-4, I raised from EP and then capped after having eight callers and 1 raiser preflop).

In this particular 3/6 limit game, I already have an "image" there of being both really aggressive and really lucky. The table conditions are typically loose-passive preflop and flop, and semi loose-aggressive on the turn and river. From my experiences there, because I'm very aggressive (raise with roughly my best 30% and worst 30% of playable hands), I tend to get several callers when I raise from EP. However, I tend to get several folds when I am in late position, as these players fear a raise preflop from me in LP, and thus move with a higher standard preflop when I'm yet to act. For this reason, I often raise EP to build pots, and adjust accordingly from the flop on.

The hand played out as follows (11 handed):

UTG folds, raise by me, 8 callers, BB 3 bets, I cap and all call. Flop comes 7-7-3... but really, the flop is irrelivant.

What is relivant is that I entered that pot raising with the intention of building a pot, figuring that worst case scenario, I'm several handed and if anyone is to cap it would be exactly me. However, should a cap come before it makes it to me I'd likely fold (which, for the record, if I were playing against me, I'd have three and four bet me with damn near any two playable in that game - but the players would sooner check check to the river face up).

Additionally, none of these players notice when I "go away" in a hand, they only notice when I raise. They further lack the ability to either put me on a quality hand or put me on a less than quality hand. Thus, post flop, these players only have their own hand strength to go by. The pool of players' failure to adjust to my style of play, in my opinion, gives me a significan edge in this game. Should the table adjust to my play, I'd certainly need to readjust quickly - else call for rebuys early and often.

It should be further noted that my win rate, despite full rake and "excessive tipping" is still above 6 BB / hr in this game. Though, I've only logged 55-60 hours in this game - which we all know is nowhere near statistically significant.

Finally, I should point out that said individual who started this post does not philosophically line up with raising or reraising simply because the odds of winning a pot with a given hand be better than the odds the pot is laying (i.e. - 5:1 to win a hand, but pot is laying 8:1 on your call). He'd call under those circumstances, whereas I propose raising more often than not because your payout is greater than odds of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

you sound like those people who call 3 bets cold with 32s because everyone else is playing "big cards."

welcome to bustoville.