Thread: Superbad rocks
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Superbad rocks

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW TT, a big part of this movie is that the male leads are comfortable enough in their sexuality to make dick jokes and talk about loving eachother without being gay. I feel like anybody who watches it and then goes "THAT'S GAY" kinda got leveled hardcore by the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You think those characters were comfortable with their sexuality? The entire [censored] movie appears to be sex and the weirdness of it. Which of those characters exhibits a confident, comfortable relationship to sex? Your reaction - apparent revulsion to the concept that they possibly could have had a gay encounter - seems pretty uncomfortable to me.

I thought the sleeping bag scene and its aftermath certainly had a pretty strong suggestion that they might have had a sexual encounter; I just saw the movie yesterday and was curious if anybody talked about it in this thread. The language the following day - "you don't have to leave," "I have your number, I'll call you" - appears to be very self consciously following stereotypical morning after patterns. Yes, it's possible that they were just embarrassed by their confessions from the night before, but it's not like that fits in with your thesis of comfortability either, and Seth sure was obsessed with dicks. This doesn't mean that the whole movie is necessarily about them being gay or not liking women.

EDIT: Also, while saying "Ha! He said 'I love you!' He must be gay!" is one unwarranted reaction, I think steadfastly refusing to consider that they might have fooled around is also pretty weird.