View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: The Effect An Avatar Has

I read a lot of these forums via Blackberry - (it takes the pain out of my daily commute), and it displays the threads minus user pictures. When I log onto 2+2 via PC and see what avatars people actually have, I would say 80% of the time my opinion of the avatar goes along with whatever view I've taken of the poster up to that point.

OP, on a similar note what do you think of PS avatars? I use the following as a very general rule of thumb:

Babies/pets - bad players, there for fun

Anime pics - kids who have moved up from playing Magic etc, generally decent

Cute girls - can go either way: either decent players or bona fide donks

Pic of themselves wearing sunglasses or upturned cards showing aces/royal flush - fish who bluff far too much

"Official" site avatars (eg Neverwin/hi-lo poker.net) - I don't think I've ever played a competent player with one of these.

Once I've seen who's got what avatar, I tend to turn off all the human/pet pictures. Ugly kids and guys tend to tilt me, and I found myself being soft on the cute girls.

I recently switched my PS avatar from anime to a pair of cute girls, and I'm certain that opponents are playing softer towards me on the whole now.

Oh, and did the mods make you change your avatar where Chloe had her hand down her pants? That one was kinda fun, btw.