View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Adolf Hitler.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In World War 1 he was a message sender and not a down in the trenches type of grunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. He was in the trenches. He faced artillery barrages and gas attacks. He won his Iron Cross during a hazardous message run. Because he was a runner and the Germans in his sector were not operating offensive operations does not mean he did not live in and face the wretchedness of trench warfare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I know. He did partake in large offensive advances. And at certain times the runners had the most dangerous job on the field as they were the only ones running out of the trenches during heavy shelling. But usually the runners were give to privates with some education (Hitler was a Corporal at wars end, which is just above private.) My point was that he wasn't often in a postion to have to kill an enemy since his main duty was not direct combat.

When he got the Iron Cross I think something like the first 4 runners sent were killed and Hitler volunteered. He spent the last days of the War sitting in a hospital blinded by Mustard gas.