View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Rudy G\'s Tough Talk

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
you can't change it so don't try

[/ QUOTE ]

Runs against the very idea of a funcational democracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to make some kind of thought-out reply, but I decided to delete it and ask you to explain to me how 1 voter can change the system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically any voted issue can come to 1 vote. The the real power, though, is in cumulative vote, voting with action (trying to get larger groups to vote), and in the political capital that your vote represents. The question can somewhat be paralleled to buying power. If you don't like company X, you don't shop at company x, but it will make a miniscule effect so why do you bother? Because it still has even a small effect. Voting isn't completely analagous because if you vote and lose, your vote essentially doesn't count as you still have to deal with the other guy, however losing votes are still looked at as polictial capital and garner attention not only from your own side to fight harder to win your area, but also with the other sides to recognize potential votes and try to win them over. And breaking up the legislative body into smaller pieces (i.e., a division between state and federal government, state and local, etc.) makes the analogy more appropriate.

A great example would be the Hispanic vote and republicans. They are only now becomming a swing vote (similar to women, pro-gun people, black americans, etc.) but for several years they were not a force at all, yet Republicans were making attempts to listen to thier concerns and vote with their intersts because they saw potential in that demographic. It is now paying off for them.

However this is beside the point, if you believe a vote doesn't matter why aren't you agreeing with pvn? As his ideology (anarcho capitalism) partially stems from that concept.