View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: STTF SNG->cash thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Karp,
I don't like preflop but the rest is fine imo. Not 3 betting pre also hurts your fe posflop here bc it is going to be hard for villain to give you credit for much here other than maybe 66. You have an equity edge both against buttons opening range and his calling range, protect that equity edge.

[/ QUOTE ] I just had an a-ha (not the Norwegian band) moment, ty!

What's your line in these spots with hands that are ahead of his raising range but dont play good against his calling range? Could you give your ranges on calling and 3-betting here (no meta game factors involved)?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all very player dependant but a hand being ahead of villain raising range but behind his calling range isn't necessarily a reason not to 3 bet. This is a ridiculous example but say you have a player who will open with atc on the button but will only continue after facing a 3 bet with aces. Obviously you can profitably 3 bet a number of hands that are ahead of villain's opening range but behind his calling range just by the mere fact that he's folding close to 100% of the time.

A lot also depends on how comfortable you are playing head up and oop against a certain villain because against some villains 3 betting may be profitable, but not the most profitable way to play a given hand. This could depend on things such as the liklihood of villain playing back at you if you donk the flop, how often villain c bets, how often villain will fold to a check raise, is villain stationy and not able to fold marginal hands postflop, etc.

Generally speaking though, I am very rarely cc a button raise out of the blinds, but this just may be a leak on my part in an inability to play very well oop.